Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Darling Josephine


I have to be honest- I tend to stick to tried and true silhouettes when I sew. When I am sewing for myself it's because I think I have a pretty good idea of what is flattering on my shape, and when I am sewing for the girls it's because I stick to what I know (i.e fitted, short bodices and full skirts). 


I know it's a little lazy of me- and truth be told, I get lazy when I sew sometimes, and that's ok. Sewing is something I do, not only as a creative outlet, but also as way of coping with stress (and when you are stressed, lazy is ok).

However, trying new things is good and exciting and fresh, so when I was given the opportunity to sew up a new to me pattern from Bella Sunshine Designs, I was super excited.  


Just an F.Y.I, this pattern was provided to me for free in exchange for marking images, and this post does contain affiliate links (I'm hoping to support my fabric problem....) But, my thoughts are my own. 


I started testing patterns for Melissa at Bella Sunshine Designs what feels like forever ago, and off the bat I know when I pick up one of her patterns it will be well drafted, true to size, I will learn at least one new sewing technique, and it will be expertly written. The Josephine Dress and Top is no exception to any of this.  The pattern comes in sizes 6 months to 12 years, and features layers and a print shop option. 


First lets talk about the style. The fitted drop waist bodice is something I have never made for my girls - and you do need to be very mindful to get the perfect fit- remember all kids are shaped differently. Melissa made this easy- just make sure you take fresh measurements, check out the sizing chart, and follow her very detailed instructions to blend sizes. 



Adeline's Josephine is a size 12 month in the chest and in length, but graded out to a 2T in the waist/hip.   


Speaking of length, the Josephine comes in three different lengths: Top, Vintage, and Dress. I went for the Vintage length because I can't get enough of Adeline's baby legs- but keep in mind it is short. 


You can only see them when she is moving around- but I made her a matching pair of ruffled bloomers to go with the dress. 


The pattern features a boat-neck (remember to listen when the pattern says to stay-stitch!) cute, tiny cap sleeves (I love the way these are sewn in), and princess seams that are great opportunity for piping- or using coordinating fabrics! 


I just love piping so I couldn't resist that option. The pattern also opts for an exposed zipper- which adds just a touch of funk to the look.


One last thing- today (3/25/2018) you can pick up the pattern for only $5.00! Just head on over to the website and use the code "sunshine sale". Make sure you also join the BSD facebook page so you can keep tabs on future sales. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know which I love more, the pattern and colours, or the chunky little rolls on your little princess legs. She is adorable. Best model ever. There will be so many queuing to buy that pattern. I have a seven month old granddaughter, same chunky rolls. Ooohhh they just need be seen to cheer the world up. The pattern is a lovely shape not the short bodice ,longer skirt. I think this Grandma needs to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one- sometimes more than once!