Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Mackinaw Coat Pattern Review


One of my 2016 sewing goals is to challenge myself more- to take on more sewing projects using skills that push me. When Ajaire, from Designs by Call Ajaire, put out the tester call for the Mackinaw Coat I jumped at the opportunity. I love testing for Ajaire because I learn soo much, and it really forces me to sew outside of my comfort zone. 


The Mackinaw Coat uses so many great techniques that I am not well practiced in- including bound buttonholes and a bagged lining (which I adore). And just look at this collar! Doesn't it look soo snuggley! The coat also includes welt pockets, that can be sewn with our without pocket flaps. 


This pattern covers sizes 12 months to 12 years, and with four different style options it is easily customized to suit any girl or boy. You can pick a pleated or flat front "skirt" and either a large, dramatic collar or a smaller collar. The dropped armscye allows for a great range of motion for play which has made this coat a go to in Cordelia's wardrobe. 


Mackinaw Coat Pattern Review

Pattern designer? Call  Ajaire

Where to buy? Etsy

Size range? 12 months to 12 years

What size did you make?  size 5 with no modifications 

What did you think of the instructions and the construction process? This is not a coat for a someone new to sewing, there are a lot of steps and advance techniques that could be very overwhelming. In fact I was overwhelmed at times and I am no way new to sewing! The illustrations were are a great help to me because I am a very visual person, but the instructions are also very detailed for people who do better with words. 

What fabric did you use? I used home decorator fabric- light weight upholstery/ drapery cotton, and costume fur that wasn't what I had in mind but Cordelia fell in love with it. The coat is lined in teal flannel for added warmth. I did choose to color block the coat, which isn't a suggestion included in the pattern, but I like how it breaks up the busy print.

Will you sew this again? Yes! 

Any adjustments for next time? Next time I would like to size up in the length and either use a heavier fabric or interface the coat with a fuse-able fleece to make it warmer- because it was later in the season when I started this coat I decided it make it lighter so that she could wear it into the spring, but I know this would be excellent as a really heavy duty coat. 

Any advice on this pattern? Don't rush it! Jackets take time and attention to detail. I often rush through projects or leave them to the last minute and you really can't do that with something this detailed. Make sure you take the time to transfer all of your pattern markings and cut all of your notches- I get lazy with this but they are incredibly important in this pattern. Also- be sure to check out the sew-along starting February 23rd on the Call Ajaire blog


Be sure to check out the other amazing tester versions- it's so inspiring to see so many beautiful versions of the same jacket! I don't have links to all of their posts yet, but I will add more as soon as I can!



1 comment:

  1. I think the colorblocking is perfect. I love this version so much. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one- sometimes more than once!