Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The First Day of Spring

IMG_1107

IMG_1105

sarah

Happy first day of spring. I hope it's warmer where you are. In the D.C area it was a tad on the chilly side and pretty windy- tomorrow we are even expecting snow flurries. Luckily, the sun came out and the sky was a beautiful bright blue instead of the called for rain. This meant that my best friend Sarah and I could  venture out for a picnic- even if we were bundled up in coats. 

 Every year on the first day of spring (well this is only the second year, but we are planning on this being an every year thing until we are little old ladies that live in a magical pink hotel) Sarah and I have an adventure. Last year we took Ms. C to see the cherry blossoms, you can see photos here and here if you are interested- this year we decided on a picnic, vintage shopping, and some good ol' time just sitting around and talking. 

Sarah and I never spend enough time together- we only live 30 minutes apart but we might as well live on opposite sides of the country with how little we see each other. I think that one of the only things I miss about college is how we always seemed to have time to sit and talk- we would talk for hours and hours, straight through classes sometime. I wish I had really understood that luxury then.  

As a mom I always feel guilty spending time away from Ms. C, especially when I do so voluntarily and for fun.  I know it's silly, there is nothing wrong with spending adult time with friends. In fact there would be something wrong with me if I spent ever waking moment hovering over Cordelia watching her every movement. Adult interaction, socialization, and alone time are healthy, much needed parts of life. Today I did better than normal, I didn't feel rushed to come back to my child's side, and I was able to relax and enjoy myself. . . Progress :)   

 Do any of you have a first day of spring tradition or did you do anything special this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I read each and every one- sometimes more than once!